New Route of the Day 1 (16 December 2021): Wizz Air between Sarajevo and Hamburg
Wizz Air has launched service between Sarajevo in Bosnia & Herzegovina and Hamburg in northern Germany. The new 2-weekly service, operating on Thursdays and Sundays, began on 16 December. The 1,250-kilometre route is not served by any other airline and the two airports have not been connected before, at least not since the start of the century according to Cirium data.
Wizz Air base since May
Sarajevo became a Wizz Air base on 20 May 2021 when it began serving nine destinations from the airport; Basel/Mulhouse, Brussels CRL, Copenhagen, Dortmund, Eindhoven, Gothenburg, Memmingen, Paris BVA and Stockholm NYO. Since then, Wizz Air Abu Dhabi began service from Abu Dhabi on 3 October, initially weekly increasing to 2-weekly.
On the same day Wizz Air launched service to Hamburg, it also introduced new routes from Sarajevo to Cologne Bonn, Frankfurt HHN and Malmö. Over the Christmas and New Year period weekly frequency on these routes varies. In addition, Billund and Oslo TRF services have commenced, initially it seems just for the Christmas and New Year period, before resuming on a regular basis from 27 March and 20 February respectively.
At present the airline’s website shows 20 routes for sale, though Basel/Mulhouse appears twice, once in France and once in Switzerland. The status of the 19 routes, as of 22 December, according to the airline’s website is as follows:
- Abu Dhabi: operating this winter and next summer (2-weekly)
- Basel/Mulhouse: operating now and next summer with variable frequency
- Billund: Christmas and New Year then 4-weekly from 27 March 2022
- Brussels CRL: Christmas and New Year then 2-weekly from 27 March 2022
- Cologne Bonn: operating this winter and next summer (up to 5-weekly)
- Copenhagen: 2-weekly now and 4-weekly next summer
- Dortmund: operating this winter and next summer (up to 6-weekly)
- Eindhoven: operating this winter and next summer (up to 4-weekly)
- Frankfurt HHN: operating this winter and next summer (up to 5-weekly)
- Gothenburg: Christmas and New Year, resumes 24 February, then up to 6-weekly from 27 March 2022
- Hamburg: operating this winter and next summer (2-weekly)
- London LTN: launches 29 March 2022 (2-weekly)
- Malmö: operating in winter and up to daily in summer 2022
- Memmingen: operating this winter and next summer (6-weekly)
- Oslo TRF: Christmas and New Year then 2-weekly from 20 February 2022
- Paris BVA: Christmas and New Year then 2-weekly from 28 March 2022
- Paris ORY: Christmas and New Year then 2-weekly from 28 March 2022
- Stockholm NYO: Christmas and New Year then 5-weekly from 27 March 2022
- Venice TSF: launches 27 March 2022 (2-weekly)
Two Paris airports are listed, Beauvais and Orly. However, when booking Orly flights for a random week in April, the small print says that the flights actually operate from Beauvais. So that reduces the airline’s network still further to just 18 routes from Sarajevo. It would be fair to say, that between now and the start of the summer season, there are likely to be several further changes, especially regarding weekly frequencies.